I am working on a MFOS self contained modular synth project, the Synth DIY Experimenter – I am keeping a build diary of this project and updating it pretty much daily – you can follow progress in the instruments section of this blog.
I recently did some bits in Bristol for Sam Francis’s Shed project. It was a very wet Sunday but some people did brave outdoor Britain at its norm and join in with the noise. I ran a Secret Sounds workshop using some leftover parts from Supernormal Festival along with some new bits – shortly followed by a solo set (my first in a while!!). Thanks to all who came along!
Ginko hasn’t gigged in a little while, so it was really refreshing to have such a warm audience in Cardiff last Saturday. I think the three of used some new things we had been working on individually. I used the wooden suitcase FX box I made in Brighton and we used a bunch of the mini-amps I made for Supernormal as a soundsystem, which turned out to sound pretty neat in the store basement! Thanks go to all involved. (click images to enlarge)
I built the first bones delay yesterday and it’s been a little dissapointing. The bad news first – the boards aren’t suitable for using in kits or anything else – the regulator package I used in my eagle design is too small (TO-92) and the 7805 5v regulators in this package can only provide 100ma of current, which isn’t enough as when you increase the delay time resistance, the circuit pulls significantly more current – the result is pretty bad.
The good news is that I managed to botch-solder one of the normal regulators I use in place of the TO-92 7805, and the board works perfectly and as intended when it receives enough current, so there is only one mistake to correct. Here is a pic of the constructed botched delay:
So now I need to go back and make ammendments to my Eagle design and send the board of for fabrication once again, this will have to wait until I have a bit of spare cash so it will be at least 2 months before I am back on track :/ rest assured, they will happen eventually.
I finally have the boards, they look great! I’m very happy though I have run into a couple of snags…
Well, two in particular, both down to component choice in Eagle. The first is pretty much resolved: I picked a trimmer potentiometer that seems to be incredibly rare – the trimmers I have at the moment don’t fit the board. The package I picked was the b25p which doesn’t seem to exist anymore – but I think I have found a suitable replacement which is on order.
The next problem was the regulator package I accidentally picked, the TO-92. The LM7805 in this form only has a maximum load of 100ma, and I’m not sure this is enough to power the chip, again common 7805 regulators just won’t fit onto the board as it stands. I have ordered some of the TO-92 package regulators to test with the board as well – this will either make or break the game. With a bit of luck the project will be tested by the end of the week.
The boards have been fabricated and I had them delivered to a friends house as I am still living in temporary chaos. Hopefully I will have them tested by the end of next week. I am thinking of setting up an account with big cartel or etzi to make the kits available. Stay tuned for updates!
Hopefully within a couple of weeks the first of a number of planned electronics kits will be available to purchase from this site. I Just placed an order for PCB fabrication for my simple low-parts delay design the “Bones Delay”. This circuit is a delay based on the PT2399 echo chip and is similar to the example circuit from the PT2399 datasheet. This design features a number of improvements that I have made over the years I have worked with the chip including a better signal to noise and dry/wet signal ratio. The circuit also has features that push the chip beyond its standard operation such as pushing delay times to over 200ms, longer delay times result in increased noise but it is still very useable around about 1000ms in a lo-fi kinda way.
Once the boards have arrived and have been tested, I will post up a list of specs and ordering details
My low-pass filter design has been put on temporary hold as I discovered some problems with the circuit when passing different signals through, once these problems have been ironed out I will be going ahead with the LPF kits as well!